Jurgen
Pine Script Master
Pine Script Master

Finished

Just finished the master course.
Very good course, but you lost me on strategy scripts.
I'm now experementing with some own scripts, and I'm gonna start the course allover again to have a more in dept understanding.

Matthew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Finished

Haha that's alright Jurgen, strategy scripts are a whole new ballgame altogether. Mastering indicators and study scripts first will really help you to make better strategy scripts anyway so there's no rush.

Great to have you here mate, I love to work with passionate and motivated traders like yourself. I'm looking forward to seeing what scripts you come up with :)

ocaptain
Pine Script Scholar
Pine Script Scholar

Same here... I'm going to need to learn Strategy Scripts as well as multiple-timeframe analysis... I wrote my first script (thanks to the course!) which I'm excited about but I want to "take it up a notch". Happy coding!
Trade Hard, and Trade Well!

-Anthony
--------------------------------
:long: Find Me on TradingView
:student: Trade with me at Sabre Trading Systems

dusktrader
Pine Script Scholar
Pine Script Scholar

Welcome Jurgen. I think strategy scripts are just taking indicator scripts to the next level. You are still analyzing the time series data, but now you can take trading actions as well. This forces a discipline between how the human interprets the indicator and objective actions that you would take (ie, trading plan). For me, the strong focus is that I try to remove subjectivity in my strategy. If I decide a filter is needed, I have to define it in a way that I can automate.

For example currently I'm working on a trend following strategy. I want to catch a chunk of trends, but stay out of choppy markets. As I'm manual trading my rules, I am constantly battling a psychology that wants me to tweak the strategy. I do not tweak my rules unless I can define the tweak in an automate-able way. For example "this bar looks huge" is not quantifiable. It needs to be math-driven. The bar is only huge if I can define that in relative terms. Because that formula is what I need to code. Obviously getting ahead of myself though... I wouldn't code it either until I've proven manually (through manual backtesting) that it is helpful.

As quickly as possible, I would like to learn to code my strategies. I'm going to make a toolbox of common things and then draw from it. This is also how I code in real life. Because much of the effort needed for automated trading is the same across strategies. Once I can assemble a full strategy, then I can leverage the Strategy Tester. I can't wait!!

Return to “Introductions”