K4eMi
Pine Script Rookie
Pine Script Rookie

Working full time as a Pine Scripter

Hey guys

I recently got a job offer from a hedge fund to go exclusively from them + clients and team up with some mlq developers into bringing strategies to live. Dream job I know been thinking about it for a long time and working my buff off connecting with people so I could get in a place to even be considered for working as full time. :zen: :zen:

I've been working from fiveer for the past year and half coding for people overall so I believe to be fit for the challenges moving forward. Wanted to ask your opinion on this what do you think is fair price for services and what should I focus on. working fiveer gigs is not the same as working with a company + clients. I must add that I'm not a web developer or any kind of coding education apart from what you can generally find online. I'm very good working around excel been part of multiple challenges and advancing levels and working with MS Power BI and SQL as Reporting Manager. no HTML, no python not java and whose things.

I need to be able to build a team of coders to answer the clients needs and I have no idea on where to begin xD

I've been great with Pine but never did webwooks and explored automation and now I'll be backtesting strategies and creating trading bots. What should I learn?! How should I tackle this

K4eMi
Pine Script Rookie
Pine Script Rookie

Re: Working full time as a Pine Scripter

@Matthew do you have any guidelines on going pro as a pine script developer under a company?

Matthew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow that's awesome K4eMi! Congratulations on your new job opportunity.

I've never personally worked professionally as a programmer before other than occasional freelance client work, so I don't really have any experience or advice to offer.

All I know is that if you're working for a hedge fund you should be getting paid a hell of a lot better than Fiverr haha. So don't let yourself get ripped off, according to ZipRecruiter the average salary for a hedge fund software developer is around $100k USD (https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/H ... per-Salary)

If you're a talented programmer then you'll be adding a lot of value to their operation by helping them automate parts of their trading processes so you'll be a valuable member of the team. So if they ask you what you expect to be paid don't lowball yourself.

As for everything else, I'd be in the same position as you haha. I wouldn't know where to start either, and it all depends on a lot of factors relating to how they operate and what types of strategies they plan to trade and what kind of infrastructure they have to work with (and who they trade through).

But if you've made it in the door I'm sure they'll help you get set up and guide you. It's not too hard to learn how to use webhooks and APIs etc with Pine assuming they're trading through an organization that has a trading API set up. Hedge funds typically have a pretty good team behind them if they're any good, so I wouldn't worry too much about all that. I'm sure you'll have plenty of help getting on your feet.

Anyway good luck with your new job, I'm sure it'll be great :)

dusktrader
Pine Script Scholar
Pine Script Scholar

I'd say at least $150k in the US if you're good

Return to “General Trading Discussions”